Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Mary Lee Goldrick Stephens Sept. 20, 1929 - Jan. 6, 2013

Everyone has a grandma or grandmas but this lady was not only that to me but also a 2nd mother, friend, and neighbor.  
We grew up living right next door to my Grandma Mary.  She was the house I could run to when I needed to get away from the craziness of life or just a different TV to watch.  
She never missed a church event, sporting event, choir concert, grandparents luncheons for me or my 3 siblings.  She was dedicated!
She traveled with us pretty much everywhere we went as a family.  Our family trips were never complete without her in the front passenger seat, directing of course!

She was great at spoiling us with all sorts of material things.  We never lacked in the clothes department because she loved buying us clothes! 
She especially loved to buy herself coats and purses.  

My kids loved going to Montana partly because of Grandma Mary.  She ALWAYS took them to the Dollar Store.  Not only one trip, they always made a couple.  
We all loved spending our lunches out to eat with her as much as she enjoyed it too.  She had her favorite places and her favorite items on the menu.  Every restaurant knew her quite well!



She came from a strong Irish catholic family of 8 children.  She was the last one left.  She watched all her other siblings go through sicknesses, take care of them, and help bury them. 

My Grandma raised 5 kids.  The oldest being my Greg, then Shelia, my mom, Kent, and Scott.  My grandfather passed away when I was only 10, so she has lived quite a few years without her companion.  She was a champion!


Shortly after returning back to Montana from the Christmas holidays spent with us she got sick. 
She has a track record with getting sick quite regularly and bouncing back so we really didn't think much of it.  
She went down hill so fast.  It was crazy!  The last 24 hours before her death were so hard.  It was obvious she wasn't going to make it and everyone was trying so hard to get to be with her.  

I know my grandma feared death.  She fought so hard for so many years with a bad heart, bad kidneys, and just over all physical ailments.  I know she fought because she was scared of the unknown.
I will never forget those feelings of wishing I could be with her holding her hand!

Found this sad little reminder on my calendar.....thanks kids.


My mom got a lot of her jewelry and let each one of us girls pick out a ring or necklace.  I chose her mothers ring.  She ALWAYS had this on.  I don't remember her ever having it off.  


I was lucky enough to spend 48 hours away and to attend her funeral.  It was a quick trip in and out but it was well worth it.  
Her funeral took place at the catholic church she attended her whole life.  
It happened to storm on the day of her funeral (and a storm in Cut Bank, Montana is not like a regular storm, they are BRUTAL).  We were at the cemetery for all of 15 minutes and I think my hands were frost bitten from taken pictures. 






My brother placing the urn in the ground next to her husband. 


Afterwards each grandchild put a yellow rose (her favorite) on the grave. 


My mom and all her siblings plus my grandma's brother in law(my grandpa's brother) Uncle Bob.


All the grandchildren in attendance.  There was only 3 that couldn't make it. 

My dad and Uncle Bob again.  My dad was with my grandma up to the very end.  He was her crutch pretty much the last 10 years.  She was so lucky to have him. He is the reason she never went into a nursing home.  Good guy, that one!


Aunt Sheila, my mom, and two of the cousins that drove all the way from Washington.


My cousin Abby and I. 


Again my Aunt Sheila and mom with my Grandma's life long friend, Colleen.  


What a great family of legacy and love that my grandma left behind.  Life is so different without her around.  There have been so many times I have wanted to pick up the phone to tell her something one of my kids said or to talk to her about some reality show.  She loved her great grand kids and was so concerned about them.  
My kids talk about her regularly and I feel so grateful that they had the opportunity to know her so well.  We love and miss you SO much Grandma Mary.

2 comments:

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Grandmother.

love you,
Susan

steve said...

I'm sorry for your loss and wish your family well.