Thursday, December 20, 2012

Life in the City of Trees

Thursday, December 20, 2012



Hi guys. Kendi does a nice job of journaling the goings on of our family, but with me temporarily separated from them, I thought I'd share what I've been up to. If nothing else, it'll serve as my own journal. If you don't like to read, skip to the bottom.

There were many changes at my old job, New management came aboard 18 months ago and most of the marketing team I worked with either quit or were let go. Maybe I was naive, but I didn't feel at jeopardy, even as the team was being built in the Bay Area. But I found myself enjoying my job less and less and didn't feel as needed as I once did. For me, life is too short to endure 10 hours a day in a situation like that, so I started looking elsewhere.

As Kendi and I have gotten older, we've been more selective of the places we'd live. I know that's not always a luxury, but my preference was to stay in Salt Lake first and foremost as we have strong roots there - but we were open to moving out of state if we needed to, preferrably in the Intermoutain West.   For 6 months, I couldn't find anything near Salt Lake that was better than the job I had. Then a marketing position in Eagle, Idaho caught my eye. I lived in Boise as a teenager and loved it.

After taking a couple trips and rounds of interviews, I had an offer and a great opportunity. The reality and impact of the pending decision came as a shock to Kendi and I. We spent a couple of weeks thinking it through and making it a matter of prayer. I know that God is interested in me and my family, but I'm of the belief that He leaves it up to us to make decisions, and that if a course adjustment is needed, he'll let us know one way or another. For me, I felt a lot of peace at the thought of moving. I certainly wasn't looking to move out of state, but felt and still feel it's the right decision for our family.

So here I am.  Being away from family is difficult, but there is hope knowing we'll be together soon. 

Fortunately for me, I've learned not to care too much what other people think. I've found there are three camps of people. Camp 1 are those that are supportive and stand behind you no matter what. Camp 2 are those that really don't care, usually because they have too much going on in their own lives to care (I'd probably put myself in Camp 2 most of the time, but I have aspirations of being in Camp 1. And then there is Camp 3, those that judge you and openly or secretly hope you fail. Going through trials like this one make it clear who your real friends are. I hope I can be more like those that have been so kind and supportive of Kendi and I.

I said my initial goodbyes to Kendi and the kids Sunday, October 7th and arrived at my unfurnished apartment in Eagle, ID late that night, with work the next day. I didn't have any furniture, so until I could work somethign better out, I'd eat my meals from an ironing board while sitting on my camping chair.  I don't remember bachelor life being this bad - I don't think it was. 
 
The king-sized bed Kendi and I bought wouldn't arrive for a few more days, so until then, I needed to sleep on the floor with some extra clothes for padding.  Sure, it was early in the move, but I hit bottom that first night laying there in the dark with my doubtful thoughts. But then, the words of a hymn came to mind and as I sang, my heart was filled with comfort and a sense that it would be okay.

Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom;
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene—one step enough for me.

I was not ever thus, nor pray'd that thou
Shouldst lead me on.
I loved to choose and see my path; but now,
Lead thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years.

So long thy pow'r hath blest me, sure it still
Will lead me on
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
The night is gone.
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile!

That moment was exactly what I needed, and since then, there have been peaks and valleys but overall, things have gotten better. And I know that I'll be back with those smiling angel faces soon.

I'm now a resident of the Springhill Marriott and know many of the staff on a first name basis. I wake up each morning, say hello to Katie the cook and eat my continental breakfast, usually waffles or oatmeal, try to read somthing inspirational, and then I'm at work before 7.

To avoid spending a lot of time at the hotel, I try to spend a lot of time at work so I'm usually there until 7.  I'll also go to the gym, visit the temple, see a movie (I've seen maybe 8 by myself - I'm that creepy guy sitting in the back by himself) or see old friends I haven't seen for almost 20 years - Carsten P., Aaron E.. Pretty much every weekend, I'm either driving back to Salt Lake, or Kendi and the kids come here. The former is logistically easier than the latter. That's the plan until the house sells and we can be reunited more permanently.







My crib - small but big enough for the family to stay when they're here. I have a mini-fridge and microwave ya'll!



 
Kids for a visit at the hotel. Maggie is modeling her new suit... very cute.

Visiting an old friend. I've lost about 10 pounds in this photo.
Company lobby - the 15 people that work in the Boise office are fantastic and it's been a great work environment.
View from my office. Carter has already talked about fishing in these ponds. There are probably 10 of them within a half mile.

Kendi has been a saint for all she has been doing and for the sacrifices she continues to make. I love her more than ever.

The hardest thing about moving for Kendi and I is leaving the people that we've grown so close to. Getting to know people superficially isn't all that hard to do. It's different when you've been around people long enough to know them on a deeper level. Kendi said it best the other day that you can just look around, pick a person and think of how much you know their story - watched their kids grow up and move out, prayed with them when they were sick, laughed with them over dinners... that will be the part that we miss the most.  It takes time to create relationships like that.

I used to think that Utahans were a different breed, and most of what I thought wasn't positive to be honest. But I'll gladly admit I was wrong. Some of the best people I've had the pleasure of knowing are from Utah.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you posted, Glen. What you wrote really moved me. So much truth and feeling there. Thanks for sharing. You've been in my prayers and will always be.

Love you.
Mom

Paul and Joni said...

I feel like I understand your situation a lot better from the blog, thanks for sharing the pictures and insights. I'm sure this is a time you'll both look back on with a lot of learning and growth.

Paul

John & Nancy Wellington Family said...

OK so I was probably one of the last to know that you guys are going to Boise. I think Idaho is a fantastic place with lots of wonderful people, but that doesn't change the fact that your family will be greatly missed here when that total move happens! I do have several extended family members in the Boise area. They love it there. That is tough for you, Glen, to be separated from your family and I am sure they miss you. We are grateful to have you here in Utah for as long as we can, but hope you don't have to be separated for too long. May the Lord continue to bless you! WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Steve said...

Nice post Glen. As you know, our family loved living in Boise and had exactly those kind of relationships that you talk about.

Like you said, it just takes time. We have really missed living there.

I hope you get to be permanently with your family soon, as that makes any place you rest your head so much more like 'home'. I can't stand to be away from mine even overnight.

I'm glad your job is a better situation. That has to make a big difference for you.

Merry Christmas! Enjoy.

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

I'm glad someone in our family has had a positive experience living in Utah. That was the case for me, born and raised in SLC. Your description of your change is well done, and certainly your decision has been well thought out and, obviously, the right one. Changes and new adjustments are hard, but you will do very well. I admire the way you have spent your time, and kept focus on your goal. You can have a great career and continue to have a great family.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments. Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas!

Glen