Friday, August 15, 2014

Famous Potato 1/2 Marathon

Early in Oct. 2013 my friend Karen invited me to do the Yellowstone Half Marathon with her.  Well it wasn't scheduled until the 3rd weekend in June and I figured I would take the challenge and at least train for it.

I did train and actually didn't really mind the training but as June started to creep closer and closer I started to stress about the date of the race.  It was not going to be a good weekend for me.  I could make it work but it was going to cause stress on my family big time. 
I decided I would see what if there were any local 1/2 marathons here.  I figured doing one here was probably alot easier without the travel.
I found the YMCA's Famous Idaho Potato race and immediately signed up before I could cancel out all together.  It was going to cut my training time because it was a month earlier but I knew I just needed to  DO IT!

My awesome friend Karen decided the night before the race to sign up herself so we could do it together.  She's so great!  I really appreciated her doing that for me.  



We started up at Lucky Peak Reservoir and ended at Ann Morrison Park.  
I really enjoyed the first 6 miles of the race.  It was so beautiful and pretty easy going for me.  We ran down hill for almost the whole 6 miles and right next to the river. 
I didn't stop till mile 6 to walk and then it was a little rough until mile 10.  And after that it was just almost miserable.  I really thought at mile 12 I was done, but realized I had 1 whole mile left, I really wanted to just lay down and be done BUT I creeped along knowing the finish line was semi close.

The greatest part was seeing my sweet family as I came around the corner off the bridge.  They were there to cheer me on and greet me.  
Carter and Bess continued to run with me through the finish line, I loved that!  

I hope to make this run a tradition.  I promised myself I at least wanted to get 3 medals, 1 for each kid.  I think I have 2 more in me?!

I know that I can do hard things because of my family!


3 comments:

Karen Howell said...

You ROCK!!!

The Dorny Family said...

Funny you should mention hard things. I keep thinking that I need to impress the notion that we can each do hard things on my kids. I want them to realize that we are each stronger than we think we are. A 1/2 marathon would be much too hard for me these days, though! Carter looks your height! Let me know when you are in Utah. I will come to you.

Anonymous said...

We were all so proud of you Kendi! Great job. Not sure if I could ever get myself to do that - my knees would have other thoughts... but we love to cheer you on.